S1 E5: The 2020 Book Challenge

Join Rebecca and Sarah as they share the 25 for 2020 Epic Book Challenge.  Why don’t you be a part of the Challenge?

We’d love to hear from you!

12 Comments Add yours

1. Mary Jo Malo says:

I’m reading some more Dostoevsky right now, Notes From Underground and next up House of the Dead. Also, The Collected Poems of Denise Levertov and a book Dave Astor recommended, The God of Small Things. I just finished reading The Secrets We Keptso I look forward to your response, Rebecca. Sarah, I read 70 books last year, and I’m having a difficult time not bragging about it. The funny thing is that I hadn’t been keeping count, except once halfway through the year, so at the end of the year I was delightfully surprised. I call that the perks of being retired, so I really admire someone who reads much who isn’t. One book I just recommended to someone is The Last Year of the War by Susan Meissner. Always be reading 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Clanmother says:

70 books! That number gives you bragging rights and I’m applauding front the side lines. Right now, Vancouver is under snow and more snow coming. It is Game of Thrones all over the city. Winter has come. The plan is to stay inside, make tea and read a book. Schools and universities are closed so there were colourful sleds out in full force. Fun times.

Liked by 2 people

1. My college had a snow day yesterday, but I work remotely without having to leave the confines of my study. So no reading for pleasure, alas.

Liked by 1 person

2. Clanmother says:

One of my most favourite words is “study” whether it be a noun or verb. It speaks of exploration, discovery and yes, hard work.

Liked by 1 person

3. Clanmother says:

Oh no, the link is broken.

Liked by 1 person

4. Clanmother says:

It worked!!! Thank you for another wonderful introduction. I was especially interested in this tidbit for it seems to go along with J.R.R. Tolkien’s concern about the rise industrial era. There is a underlying theme for those who saw the future that we are seeing today. And now, we are heeding their warnings. “In 1930, Ransom along with 11 other Southern Agrarians published the conservative, Agrarian manifesto I’ll Take My Stand: The South and the Agrarian Tradition, which assailed the tide of industrialism that appeared to be sweeping away traditional Southern culture. The Agrarians believed that the Southern tradition, rooted in the pre-Civil War agricultural model, was the answer to the South’s economic and cultural problems. “

Liked by 1 person

5. My pleasure, Rebecca! I first encountered “Bells for John Whiteside’s Daughter” in John Frederick Nims’ book, Western Wind, on the craft of poetry.

Liked by 1 person

2. I particularly appreciated your discussion of how meaningful it is to share a book you read with someone else, hoping they will have a similar enjoyable reading experience. I remember so clearly how excited my mother was for me to read all of her childhood favorites.

I’ve recently served as a beta reader for Frank Prem’s new poetry collection, walk away silver heart. It is a book of love poetry inspired by the lines of Amy Lowell’s “Madonna of the Evening Flowers.” I’ve just started reading a novel by a local author I met at a book signing last year Beautiful Invention: A Novel of Hedy Lemarr.

Liked by 2 people

1. Clanmother says:

I really appreciate your support and encouragement of local authors and poets and of those who are in the early stages of a writing career. You are on the “frontier” of discovery. Most of us wait until we hear from others what to read and when to read. In business terms, you are the upstream, early adopter and leader, while most are downstream. While both upstream and downstream have benefits, you have the advantage of being one of the firsts to see the birth of a story/poem. Thank you for your dedication to the art of poetry and literature. You continue to inspire me.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Rebecca. They mean a lot.

Liked by 1 person